National Book Awards WINNER 1980
National Book Critics Circle Awards WINNER 1979
“The first major and eminently readable book on gnosticism benefiting from the discovery in 1945 of a collection of Gnostic Christian texts at Nag Hammadi in Egypt.” –The New York Times Book Review
1. The Controversy over Christ’s Resurrection: Historical Event or Symbol?
2. “One God, One Bishop”: The Politics of Monotheism
3. God the Father/God the Mother
4. The Passion of Christ and the Persecution of Christians
5. Whose Church Is the “True Church”?
6. Gnosis: Self-Knowledge as Knowledge of God