“Joan Chittister is a legend. In this book she reminds us that when we connect our passions to the world’s pain, everybody wins. Joan’s book is a wonderful corrective to the piles of narcissistic, fluffy “find yourself” books and self-help theology which often miss the secret to fulfillment which is — if we want to find our lives, we’ve got to give them away… we are made to live for something bigger than ourselves. Joan nails it. She invites you to cling to Jesus, dive into the world’s pain, and do something daring and beautiful with your life.”
-Shane Claiborne, cofounder of THE SIMPLE WAY and author of COMMON PRAYER
Table of Contents
Finding the way home to myself
1. The search for happiness and meaning in life
2. What does enjoyment have to do with happiness?
3. What does it mean to become the fullness of ourselves?
4. Whose call is it?
5. Learning to hear the call
6. What does it mean “to have a purpose”?
7. Purpose and passion: the essence of call
8. Why does it take so long to find out who I am?
9. What is a gift?
10. Why follow the gifts?
11. What does it mean to have a call?
12. The first call: an invitation to adulthood
13. The second call
14. The third call
15. Is everything we’d like to do really a call?
16. How do I know if I have a call?
17. How do I know I’m doing what I’m meant to do?
18. What does a sense of call have to do with the spiritual life?
19. Should I try various things before deciding what to do?
20. Is it possible to have more than one call?
21. Is it ever too late to start over?
22. Where is God in all of this?