1. For you, what was the biggest surprise as you followed Jason through the many twists laid out in Dark Matter?
2. What makes Jason 1 a standout amongst the others? Is our allegiance to him a matter of perspective? Or is there something fundamental to him that is more deserving of Daniela and Charlie than the others?
3. When the novel switches to Daniela’s point of view for the first time, were you surprised by the scene that takes place? Confused? What did you think was happening?
4. At its heart, Dark Matter is a love story. Yet we see Daniela in many different worlds and in situations where she is not with Jason and happy. Do you think they are supposed to be together? Do you believe that they would have been just as happy pursuing their career-driven dreams?
5. Many of the decisions in Dark Matter center around the notion of career and family. If you had to choose, would you rather live Jason 1 or Jason 2’s life? Why?
6. Jason 2 (and some of the other Jasons we meet later in the book) acts in morally questionable ways throughout the novel. Do you think that his life path has caused him to be less kind-hearted? Or is he merely self-interested and willing to do whatever it takes?
7. Without Amanda, Jason 1 might not have survived. What do you think of her decision to leave him? How did you feel about their relationship?
8. What kind of world do you imagine Jason, Daniela, and Charlie entered at the end of the book?
9. What did you think of the science and technology in the book? If this kind of advancement in science was possible, would you want it to exist?
10. Dark Matter has a somewhat unusual combination of qualities—it’s part thriller, part science-fiction novel, part love story. Can you think of other books or movies that combine these genres in similar ways?
11. What writing tricks and techniques does the author use to keep readers turning pages and make the book read quickly? Did you find them effective?
12. What was your favorite element of the novel? Your least favorite?
13. Is there a path not taken that you wish you could experience? If so, what is it? Do you feel you ultimately made the right decision?