"Wonderfully lively, engaging, and instructive — a powerfully wrought spiritual evolution of a soul’s journey toward faith narrated personally and tellingly."
– Robert Coles, Pulitzer Prize-winner
"With engaging and absolute honesty, Goldstein tells the story of his arduous search for faith and writes with clarity, empathy, and insight about the Christian and Jewish mystics whose quest for enlightenment he himself so movingly emulates. He is a clear-eyed and intelligent seeker who knows that men and women find God in the shadow as often as in the light, in pain as much as in ecstasy."
– Derek Lundy, author of Godforsaken Sea: Around the Globe Alone Through the World’s Most Dangerous Waters
"This is a book for a new generation of seekers, a book that is not afraid to venture into the darker dimensions of the spiritual life. Few today dare to tread where Goldstein has."
– Rabbi Irving Greenberg, president, Jewish Life Network
"Real life is messy. Most books on spirituality try to clean it up or cover it up. This one is different. Goldstein takes us into the heart of the raw and savage moments of life and provides a much needed balance to the all too often pollyannaish pretensions of contemporary American spirituality."
– Rabbi Rami M. Shapiro, author of Minyan: Ten Principles for Living a Life of Integrity
"In this spiritual journey, real travels, vividly reported, are paired with lives and thoughts of religious figures, classical and marginal, to provoke the reader to think about what might constitute a vibrant religious life today."
– Wayne Proudfoot, professor of religion, Columbia University
From the Hardcover edition.