1. How do you think the death of Lilli’s mother affected the course of Lilli’s life?
2. What role do you think Lilli’s religious background played in her willingness to suffer for her choices?
3. Does her faith remain the same or change in the course of the story?
4. How did the diary form of the novel affect your experience of the story?
5. Are there challenges Lilli faced that women still struggle with today?
6. How do you think Lilli’s story might be different if it was set today? In what ways might it be the same?
7. What messages about motherhood will you take away from the novel?
8. Are there choices Lilli made that you might have made differently, in her circumstances?
9. Johan tells Lilli he won’t pry into her secrets. But her mother warns that secrets will corrode bonds. Whose approach do you agree with?
10. What affected you most when you were reading Lilli’s story, and what do you think will remain with you?