1. When the book opens, Bitsy Baynard is dealing with the fact that her husband stole all of her money and ran away with another woman. Do you think Bitsy should have made Bertrand sign a prenup? Do you believe in prenups?
2. Bitsy and Bertrand were initially introduced by Nicole Grant of Heart Inc., who worked as a matchmaker. Do you think matchmakers can be a successful way to find love? Would you ever hire a matchmaker?
3. William Hightower could have any woman he wants. Why do you think he is attracted to Madeline Singer? Will asks Maddie to go on tour with him, and Maddie is reluctant to do so. Do you understand her reluctance? Why do you think women often have such a hard time putting their needs first?
4. Nicole is terrified that Joe no longer wants to marry her, that something will go wrong during her pregnancy, and that she’ll fall short as a mother. Why do you think Nikki feels this way? Have you ever been in a situation where you knew your fear wasn’t warranted, but you were terrified anyway? How did you handle it?
5. Avery Lawford is an architect and licensed contractor who finds the aromas surrounding construction relaxing. She attributes this to spending time on her father’s construction sites as a child. What is your stress buster? When and how did you discover it?
6. Chase and his son Jason are at odds for most of the book, and Avery finds herself caught between them. Do you think she handles the situation well? How do you feel about Chase’s behavior? Why is he so tough on Avery?
7. What do you think Bella Flora symbolizes for Maddie, Nicole, Avery, and Kyra? Is there a family home or a place like Mermaid Point that holds particular significance for you? Why? Would you risk losing it for the chance to achieve a lifelong dream or goal?
8. Kyra has to decide whether or not to let her son, Dustin, star in a move with his father. What do you think she should do? Would you let your child star in a movie? Is that kind of pressure and attention good or bad for a child?
9. What do you think of the tiny house movement? Would you want to live in a tiny house? How many square feet would you need to feel comfortable?
10. At the end of each day, Maddie, Nicole, Avery, and Kyra share one good thing to toast at sunset. What—or who—is your one good thing today? Wendy Wax would love to know, so be sure to share your #OneGoodThing on Twitter or Instagram, or on Wendy’s Facebook wall!