1. Have you ever ghosted someone, or been ghosted yourself? How did you handle it? What happened?
2. How should Sarah have handled Eddie’s disappearance? Was she right to keep searching for him, or should she have left it alone?
3. What do you make of Sarah and Reuben’s marriage? Do you think they were a good fit for each other when they met, or was their match doomed to fail no matter what? Did they behave well toward each other? What advice would you have given them?
4. There are a number of relationships in the book, and all are written with nuance and complexity. Do you see yourself in how the characters interacted with one another? Why do you think Eddie’s relationship with his mother was so tense? Could Sarah have been a better friend to Jenni?
5. Technology plays a significant role in the book and Sarah’s constant addiction to checking her phone takes a toll on her mental health. Do you think it’s important that Sarah had the option to try to track down Eddie? Why or why not?
6. There are number of anonymous letters scattered throughout the book. Did you guess to whom these were addressed, or who they were from? When did you know?
7. Were you surprised when you learned the truth about Hannah and Alex all those years ago? What did you think had occurred?
8. Having a child together is ultimately the one thing that seems to bring both Sarah and Eddie’s families together at last. Yet Jenni and Javier struggle to get pregnant, and must decide what their life will look like without children. If you couldn’t have children, or do not plan to have children, what would your life look like?
9. Why do you think Jo and Tommy kept their relationship secret? Would you have done the same in their position?
10. The ability—or inability—to forgive defines many of the characters in the book: from Eddie’s mother’s resistance to moving on, to Sarah’s inability to forgive herself, to Eddie’s crucial final decision on which the entire story hangs. Is it important to be able to forgive? Or are there some things that can never be excused?