Readers Guide for A MURDEROUS RELATION Questions for Discussion
1. The year 1888 is the setting of the Jack the Ripper murders. How do these crimes affect the atmosphere of the city? What other factors are in play, influencing the social unrest?
2. Lady Wellingtonia Beauclerk meddles excessively in the lives of the royal family. Is her interference justified?
3. What drives Veronica to undertake this investigation? What drives Stoker?
4. This novel sees the introduction of another member of Stoker’s family. How would you characterize Stoker’s relationship with his family?
5. Madame Aurore has had to make her way in the world. What do you make of her choices?
6. How do you think Stoker and Veronica’s relationship will progress?
7. In this novel we meet the character of Prince Albert Victor (Eddy). Discuss his relationship with Veronica.
8. Like Veronica, J. J. Butterworth is unusual for a Victorian woman. How does she differ from the stereotype?
9. Veronica has a brief interlude with a shadowy man in the streets of Whitechapel. Who do you think he was?
10. How do the skills Stoker and Veronica have acquired from their work and travels translate to solving mysteries in Victorian London?
11. Who of the supporting characters do you feel has the most to offer as a member of Veronica’s “found family”?
12. What is the significance of Chester, the velvet mouse?
13. What drives the villain? Is their scheme doomed to fail?
14. The Club de l’Étoile is based upon actual establishments in London at the time. How does this fit with your ideas of Victorian propriety?