“Proficiency in whist implies capacity for success in all these more important undertakings where mind struggles against mind.” —Edgar Allan Poe, “The Murders in the Rue Morgue”
“Ha, ha, fool, ya lost! Rise and fly, %@#*!” —Uncle Ralph after running a Boston, Jones family reunion, 2002
Here’s a rollicking celebration and guide to bid whist, the official game of family reunions, cookouts, backyard barbecues, and house parties. In Rise and Fly, veteran journalists Greg Morrison and Yanick Rice Lamb explore the deeper secrets of the game, including:
• strategies for beating the stuffing out of your opponents
• hints for successful trash-talking
• the official rules and exotic variations to keep things interesting
• tips for organizing tournaments
• resources for taking your game to the next level
• a whole slew of recipes for whist-worthy snacks
Full of history, lore, and the personal recollections of celebrities and regular folks alike, this is the first all-in-one book of bid whist, a treasure for anyone who’s ever pulled up to the table and been dealt in.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
Get the news you want from Penguin Random House
Ebook | $2.99
Published by Crown Archetype Mar 10, 2010| 160 Pages| ISBN 9780307544322