Praise for We Are Not From Here:
A BookPage Best Book of 2020!
A Chicago Public Library Best of the Best of 2020!
A School Library Journal Best Book of 2020!
A New York Public Library 2020 Top 10 Best Book for Teens!
“A fierce and tender story . . . Relevant, timely, and perceptive.” –Margarita Engle, winner of the Pura Belpre Award and Newbery Honor
“With poignant, exhausting lyricism and heart wrenching poetic prose, Jenny Torres Sanchez digs deep and shows us the throbbing, aching corazón—the hopeful, unbreakable spirit of the embattled immigrant. A book for the starving, lost soul.” –Guadalupe García McCall, Pura Belpré Award-winning author of Under the Mesquite
“An incredibly powerful, soul-searing YA. [I]mportant and necessary…. I could not put this book down.” –Padma Venkatraman, award-winning author of The Bridge Home
“We Are Not From Here is one of the most relevant and needed young adult novels of the year, a must-read.” –Jennifer Mathieu, critically acclaimed author of The Liars of Mariposa Island and Moxie
“An achingly beautifully story…masterfully told…Jenny Torres Sanchez is a true leader within young adult fiction.” –Christina Diaz Gonzalez, award-winning author of The Red Umbrella
“We Are Not From Here is absolutely stunning. It’s raw and real, gritty and gorgeously told. A story that’s painfully relevant today, and told with such precision and beauty, you can feel it. It’s breathtaking and left me absolutely breathless.” –Lauren Gibaldi, author of This Tiny Perfect World
“We Are Not From Here is a book that will mark your heart. Jenny Torres Sanchez challenges us to feel, empathize and understand. A searing, necessary and ultimately beautiful book.” –Alexandra Villasante, critically acclaimed author of The Grief Keeper
* “A brutally honest, not-to-be-missed narrative…gripping, heart-wrenching, and thrilling.” —Kirkus Reviews, STARRED REVIEW
* “A candid, realistic story that will leave readers thinking about the characters—and about our own world—long after the last page.” —SLJ, STARRED REVIEW
* “Gripping, poignant…this soul-shaking narrative [recalls] the works of Gabriel García Márquez.” —Booklist, STARRED REVIEW
* “A devastating read that is difficult to put down, this unforgettable book unflinchingly illuminates the experiences of those leaving their homes to seek safety in the United States.” —Publishers Weekly, STARRED REVIEW
* “A stunning, visceral, and deeply moving read.” —BookPage, STARRED REVIEW