Click here to read about great milestones in our company’s history.
Penguin Random House is the international home to more than 300 editorially and creatively independent publishing imprints. Our mission is to ignite a universal passion for reading by creating books for everyone. We believe that books, and the stories and ideas they hold, have the unique capacity to connect us, change us, and carry us toward a better future for generations to come.
What We Do
Our dedicated team of publishing professionals is committed to helping authors realize their very best work and to finding innovative new ways of bringing stories and ideas to audiences worldwide. By leveraging our global reach, embracing new technologies, and collaborating with authors at every stage of the publishing process—from editorial and design, to sales and marketing, to production and distribution—we aim to provide them with the greatest platform possible. At the same time, we fiercely protect our authors’ intellectual property and champion freedom of expression, ensuring that their voices carry beyond the page and into the folds of communities and societies around the globe.
Our Heritage and Ongoing Commitment
With a rich history dating back to the 1800s, our expansive publishing portfolio contains books and products for readers of all ages at every stage of life. We’re also proud to count more than 80 Nobel Prize laureates and hundreds of the world’s most widely read authors as part of the Penguin Random House family.
Penguin Random House is a cultural institution dedicated to serving our communities beyond the books we publish. Through our campaigns, partnerships, and internal initiatives, we strive to shape a more equitable, diverse, and sustainable world. Click here to view our global 2020 Social Impact report.
At a Glance
- Established on July 1, 2013
- Shareholder: Bertelsmann
- Headquartered in New York City with operations in more than 20 countries across six continents
- Made up of more than 300 editorially and creatively independent imprints and brands
- Comprised of adult and children’s fiction and nonfiction print and digital trade book publishing
- More than 10,000 employees worldwide, with more than 5,000 employees in North America
- Publishes 70,000 digital and 15,000 print titles annually, with more than 100,000 eBooks available worldwide
- Committed to creating a positive impact on the world by making the best books of their kind, in the best possible way, for every kind of reader. Click here to read more about Social Impact and how we contribute to our readers’ communities.