1. How do you feel about Catherine as a character? Do these feelings change as the book progresses? If so, how?
2. Catherine says that people don’t feel sorry for you if you have money. Did you feel sorry for Catherine when she starts to lose hers?
3. Money defines Catherine’s life in obvious external ways. How does define the way in which she sees herself on an internal level?
4. How does Catherine begin to see herself differently through her relationship with Susan? Why does Catherine question this friendship?
5. Catherine is very concerned with the idea of being a good person. Do you think she’s a good person?
6. Are Catherine and her mother similar? If so, in what ways?
7. What is it about Dan that Catherine finds so appealing?
8. Why does Catherine ignore William’s odd behavior? Why does she ignore her mother’s negative reaction when William’s name is mentioned?
9. In what ways has Catherine changed by the end of the novel?
10. What do you think is the meaning of the title “We Could Be Beautiful”?