READERS GUIDEThe questions, discussion topics, and suggestions for further reading that follow are designed to enhance your group’s discussion of Hey Harry, A Matilda, an epistolary novel by Rachel Hulin.
IntroductionHey Harry, Hey Matilda is the story—told entirely in hilarious emails—of fraternal twins Harry and Matilda Goodman as they fumble into adulthood, telling lies and keeping secrets, and finally confronting their complicated twinship.
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. How did the epistolary structure change the way you read the book? Did you like the flow of emails to tell a story?
2. Can you relate to Harry or Matilda in their experiences of becoming adults? Is there one twin you find you relate to more?
3. As a reader, how was your experience in watching Matilda’s lie unfold?
4. While to focus is on the relationship between the twins, how did the other family members and romantic partners play into the story for you? Were there any familiar characters or behaviors that read true to your own experiences?
5. How did you feel experiencing the duality of the twins in their art?
6. Vera has a complicated relationship with Harry. How did you feel as their love (and challenges) evolved in the book?
7. The author, Rachel Hulin is also a photographer who used photos on Instagram to tell the story, as she wrote it. How did the integration of photography enhance your experience as a reader?
8. Matilda and Harry have dry and quick sense of humor. What were the funniest moments and exchanges for you?
9. The ending of the novel can take the reader by surprise—what did you think of the ultimate fate of the twins?