READERS GUIDEReader’s Guide
The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson
1. What do you think the Darkwood represents? Is it evil, good, or neutral?
2. How does Immanuelle’s desire to know more about her mother drive the narrative, and how does what she learns change her?
3. What is the significance of the seals that the married women in Bethel wear? What do they symbolize?
4. Why do you think the people of the Outskirts were shunned? What is their role in Bethel and the growing resistance within it?
5. Was the violence of the witches justified? Do you think that there was a way for them to achieve retribution without bloodshed?
6. Do you see Ezra as being responsible for (or complicit in) the sins of the Prophet and Church?
7. What is the role of anger in this story? Do you think it was a useful agent of change?
8. Do you think Bethel is redeemable? Why or why not?