Celebrating the best drawings by contemporary artists, the Strokes of Genius series follows the beautiful, ongoing story of contemporary drawing through the work and words of some of today's top artists. Focusing on the theme "Inspiring Subjects," this thoughtfully curated 10th edition features the artists' most compelling subject matter. Artists and art lovers alike are sure to be inspired by the resulting energy and expressiveness showcased on these pages.
• 127 modern-day masterpieces in charcoal, pencil, pastel, colored pencil, scratchboard, pen and ink, and more • A breathtaking diversity of styles and approaches • Comments from the artists offer fresh-from-the-studio advice, insights, and anecdotes not found anywhere else
Inspiration fresh from the studios of 131 master artists!
A celebration of creative drawing, the Strokes of Genius series showcases standout work from today's top artists. This 8th volume focuses on how artists use texture to bring life and depth to subjects ranging from soulful portraits and expressive still lifes, to beautiful landscapes and pulsing city scenes. Texture plays an essential role in each of these drawings–capturing character, building mood, and paying homage to everyday moments that often go unnoticed.
These pages serve up a tantalizing buffet of tactile impressions, from rough tree bark and silky fur to peeling paint and timeworn fabrics. Complete with fascinating, firsthand insights on the drawing techniques behind the textures, Strokes of Genius 8 offers hours of browsing and inspiration for artists and art-lovers alike. Inside you'll find:
• 139 magnificent works in charcoal, pencil, pastel, colored pencil, scratchboard and pen+ink • An exciting range of styles and approaches, presented in subject-themed chapters • A behind-the-scenes look at the tools and methods used to evoke a wide range of natural and manmade textures
There is something almost magical about looking at a two-dimensional surface and experiencing a visceral sense of depth and dimension. In this 7th edition of the celebrated Strokes of Genius series, 120 of today's best artists share successful approaches to creating that wondrous illusion of space–from a tight, shallow place that reflects the emotional state of the model, to wide open vistas that seem to go on forever.
Inside you'll find:
• 135 inspirational drawings in charcoal, pencil, pastel, colored pencil, pen and ink, scratchboard and more • An exciting diversity of styles and techniques, presented in subject-themed chapters: portraits, landscapes, animals, still lifes and figures • Practical artist-to-artist advice, insights and anecdotes you won't find anywhere else Books on art theory put forth concepts like contrast, edges and perspective. Strokes of Genius brings those theories to life, showing how today's artists put them to work. Each drawing is a unique, real-world lesson on how to manipulate value, light, shadows, details and more to evoke a feeling of depth and invite the viewer in.
This sixth volume in the celebrated Strokes of Genius series explores the power of value. From the darkest darks to the lightest lights and all the notes in between, value can build works of incredible complexity, or pure and simple poetry. More than any other single element of art, value has the power to force a flat surface into a realistic sense of dimension, convey textures, establish mood, and evoke terrific plays of light and shadow. In the hands of the skillful artists in this book, value draws us in, tells stories, and transports us to sights and scenes from the artist’s unique perspective
• 140 drawings from 100+ artists in charcoal, pencil, pastel, colored pencil, and pen and ink • A diversity of styles and approaches, presented in subject-themed chapters: portraits, still lifes, figures, landscapes and animals • Comments from the artists offering fresh-from-the-studio insight and ideas not found anywhere else. From breathtaking realism to on-location sketches, Strokes of Genius 6 promises hours of enjoyment and inspiration for artists in any medium.
“Do not only draw what you see,” encourages artist Gary Rudisill (p55), “create what you feel.” In Strokes of Genius 5, that feeling is delivered through strong and inventive design. Covering a tantalizing range of styles, the work within illustrates the many ways today’s best artists choreograph shape, value, line, texture and color into compositions that create drama, tell a story, and pull viewers in. Featuring unusual perspectives, tantalizing contrasts and other dynamic design elements, Strokes of Genius 5 delivers fresh inspiration for artists of every skill level and medium.
• Art and inspiration from 91 contemporary masters in charcoal, pencil, pastel, colored pencil, scratch board, pen and ink, and more. • 120 masterful works–landscapes, figures, portraits, urban scenes, animals and still lifes–in a wonderful diversity of styles. • Expert tips, techniques and stories behind the designs.
Art, inspiration and insights from 100+ modern-day masters!
Line is arguably the most fundamental and direct element in art, and also the most expressive–as personal as handwriting. Strokes of Genius 4 explores the artistic linework of more than 100 contemporary masters. These artists tell the stories of their varied subjects through strong verticals and sweeping diagonals, quick staccatos and loose, sensuous strokes. Captions share insights on how they use line to lead the eye, create movement, reveal character, and add depth, drama and texture.
Inside you’ll find:
• Art and inspiration from more than 100 of today’s best artists • 140 masterful pieces in charcoal, pencil, pastel, pen and more • Diverse subject matter: portraits, landscapes, still life, figures and animals • Styles ranging from minimalism to photorealism
From quick sketches to full rendered artwork, Strokes of Genius 4 offers fresh ideas and unique perspectives to fuel artists in any medium.
“Drawing is the connection between eye, heart and hand.” –Linda Wesner
Drawing is a fundamental skill for artists in any medium, a wonderfully direct means of expression and the driving inspiration behind this provoking collection. Strokes of Genius 3 celebrates drawing as an art form in its own right, featuring work from 95 of today’s brightest artists.
In this brilliant collection of drawings, 95 contemporary artists explore the subjects that touch their hearts and discuss how they capture them in their medium of choice. In addition to traditional pencil, charcoal and ink, you’ll find a number of scratchboard, colored pencil and mixed-media works. Subject matter ranges from timeworn city architecture to portraits of beloved dogs, including such perennial favorites as landscapes, harbor scenes, flowers, still life, the human figure and more.
• 140 world-class drawings, from simple, direct sketches to meticulously layered works of art selected from thousands of submissions • Exciting mix of styles, mediums and techniques, presented in subject-specific chapters: Town & County, Portraits, Pets, Still Life, The Human Figure and Wildlife • Artists’ commentary on the concepts and techniques behind each piece To further explore the “Fresh Perspectives” theme, each featured artist was asked to finish the phrase, “Drawing is….” Their responses, scattered throughout, add yet another dimension to this book:
“Drawing is a moment of poetry.”
“Drawing is to art what physics is to science.”
“Drawing is art stripped to its bare bones.”
Above all, it is the art itself that will cause you to keep this volume handy on the coffee table or bookshelf for when you want to curl up, look at the world through these artists’ eyes, and come away with a more vivid sense of what drawing is–or can be–to you. Whether you are an artist in search of fresh inspiration or a connoisseur fascinated by great artwork and the processes behind it, Strokes of Genius 3 promises many pleasurable hours of browsing, appreciation and discovery.