A SAMPLE OF THE QUESTIONS FOUND IN Love As a Way of Life
To begin the guide, consider this question: When you love others, do you believe you are loving God? Why or why not? You might want to keep this question in mind as you discuss the seven traits of a loving person. God’s help in loving others is always available to us because he cares so deeply about others receiving and reciprocating his love.Kindness: Discovering The Joy Of Putting Others Before Yourself
Further Bible reading: Jeremiah 31:1–6; Joel 2:13; Luke 6:32–36; Romans 2:2–4; Ephesians 4:29
The apostle Paul said the love of God is “expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:7–8). The pattern is clear. The kindness that God shows toward us is what motivates us to be kind to others. Paul spoke of this when he said, “At one time we…lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy” (Titus 3:3–5). While kindness does not come naturally, we have the perfect model of God’s kindness in Jesus. The Holy Spirit is at work in us to express Christ’s kindness through us.
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. Give an example of a time when another person expressed kindness to you. How did that kindness change you or your relationship with the person?
2. Peter said Jesus “went around doing good” (Acts 10:38). This is the simplest yet most profound summary of Jesus’s lifestyle. In what ways did Jesus show love in doing good for others? Name some ways that Jesus has done good for you.
3. In Matthew 10:42, Jesus speaks of the value of giving “even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones.” Why did Jesus call attention to such a small gesture? What makes a simple act of kindness such an important part of being a follower of Jesus?
4. In what ways does our culture diminish the value of small acts of kindness?
5. Christians are sometimes criticized for not living out the love they profess. Why do acts of kindness draw others to God? How have you seen unkind acts turn people away from God?