Experience the rest of your life with restorative yoga, the supported poses, and breathing practices that will help you heal the effects of chronic stress. In Relax and Renew, the first book exclusively devoted to this work, you’ll find:
• In-depth guidance in Basic Relaxation Pose (Savasana), the heart of restorative practice, as well as the Centering Breath
• A general restorative sequence that explores backbends, an inverted posture, a twist, cooling forward bends, and a variation of Basic Relaxation Pose (Savasana)
• Sequences for busy days, including a fifteen-minute practice, yoga at your desk, and the Totally Invisible Relaxation
• Programs for back pain, headaches, insomnia, jet lag, and breathing problems
• A special section for women during menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause
• A guide to props: what they are, where they go, how to fold and roll blankets, and around-the-house alternatives
• Supplemental resources, such as where to find a yoga teacher, recommended books, magazines, newsletters, audio programs, props, yoga vacations, etc.
About Relax and Renew
Whether you have five minutes or an hour, taking time out each day to relax and renew is essential to living well. This book presents nurturing physical postures and breathing techniques called restorative yoga. When practiced regularly, they will help you to:
• Heal the effects of chronic stress • Recover from illness or injury • Balance energy and quiet the mind
With clear instructions and photographs, Relax and Renew gently guides the experienced practitioner and enthusiastic beginner—regardless of age, flexibility, or strength—in techniques that will ease your way through this hectic world. The first book devoted exclusively to restorative yoga, Relax and Renew offers:
• A general restorative sequence • Programs for back pain, headaches, insomnia, jet lag, and breathing problems • A special section for women during menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause • Routines for when time is limited, including one for the office • Practical suggestions that help you prevent stress and live more fully in the present moment
Judith Lasater has taught yoga since 1971. She holds a doctorate in East-West psychology and is a physical therapist. Dr. Lasater is the president of the California Yoga Teachers Association and serves on the advisory boards of Yoga Journal and the Yoga Research and Education Center.
Her yoga training includes study with B. K. S. Iyengar in India and the United States. She teaches ongoing yoga classes and trains yoga teachers in kinesiology, yoga therapeutics, and the Yoga Sutra at the Iyengar Yoga Institute of San Francisco. In addition, she leads workshops and retreats throughout the United States and abroad.
Dr. Lasater writes extensively about yoga. Her feature articles, columns, and essays appear in numerous books, magazines, and anthologies. She is the author of Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times, the first book devoted to the supported yoga poses and breathing techniques called restorative yoga.
Judith Lasater lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and three children.