Part One: The Problem
1. What’s the problem?
2. What is happiness?
3. Are we getting happier?
4. If you’re so rich, why aren’t you happy?
5. So what does make us happy?
6. What’s going wrong?
7. Can we pursue a common good?
Part Two: What Can Be Done?
8. The Greatest Happiness: Is that the goal?
9. Does economics have a clue?
10. How can we tame the rat race?
11. Can we afford to be secure?
12. Can mind control mood?
13. Do drugs help?
14. Conclusions for today’s world
Sources of tables, charts and diagrams
List of annexes