READERS GUIDEReader’s Guide
On Fire Island by Jane L. Rosen
1. The afterlife! Are you a believer?
2. Were you all in with the narration from the afterlife, or were you skeptical?
3. Do you believe in signs and intimations from a world beyond? Have you experienced any?
4. If you were given a two-month post-death stay, where would you go?
5. How important are rituals in the practice of mourning and coming to terms with loss? How have rituals and traditions helped you recover
from a loss?
6. If you had to choose between sad or uplifting, how would you describe this novel?
7. If you could hear the same story from another character’s point of view, who would you choose?
8. Intergenerational friendship is a big part of this book. Is that something that figures into your life?
9. How did you feel about Renee’s choices?
10. Beatrix and Veronica fell out over a lifeguard in their teens and never made up. If you were Beatrix, what would it take to forgive your sister?
11. How did you feel about the way Dylan and Matty’s story ended?
12. How did you interpret the ending of the novel? Did you believe that Ben was writing a work of fiction, nonfiction, or some combination of the two?